The parish church of St Gwyddelan was built around 1500, with the south chapel added between the 1570's and 1580's. It has walls of local slatey rock and a roof of rough graded slates. There is a contemporary bellcote with an arched bell opening. The interior contains exceptional historic details including a perpendicular style rood screen, probably taken from a fifteenth century predecessor church, a central Tudor arch, carved 'bent feather' spandrels and 2 windows retaining original sixteenth century glass. The lych-gate associated with the church was accidentally demolished in 2006.
The church is of particular interest because documentary references suggest that the parish church was rebuilt on a new site c. 1500. According to Sir John Wynn of Gwydir, the present church was built by his ancestor Maredudd ap Ieuan who acquired Dolwyddelan Castle in 1488 and rebuilt the church because he feared being ambushed at the more remote old church. The felling-date range of 1471-1501 obtained for the nave roof is consistent with this tradition.
Nave Roof Felling date range: 1471-1501
Collar 1467; Arch braces 1453; Principal rafter 1466; Purlins 1458, 1458.